Gormley Church began as a community church with the erection of the first building on Main Street, Stouffville in 1873. Now located on Gormley Road West due to the re-routing of Stouffville Road just north of Gormley itself. It soon became affiliated with a group known as the Mennonite Brethren in Christ which today is known as the Evangelical Missionary Church of Canada. The original wood frame building was replaced with a brick one in 1931. A major extension which added a fellowship hall, offices, nursery, and foyer was dedicated in 1965. This was done due to the growth of the congregation which continued into the early parts of the 80’s.
Rev. Brubacher, Gormley’s pastor from 1938 to 1940, was instrumental in the starting of a Bible School which began in Stouffville in 1940. The school moved to Gormley in 1943 where it remained for one year before it was moved to Kitchener. Today it is known as Emmanuel Bible College.
Gormley has always had a strong international mindset and has had a number of members respond to the call for service around the world for both short and long term mission assignments.
Gormley Church has been in the community for over 140 years. We look forward to continuing our ministry to Gormley, to Richmond Hill, to York Region, and to the ends of the earth, fulfilling the great commission for His Glory!