Gormley Church exists to Love God, Love People and Make Disciples. Our mission is to Plant Gardens the Way of Jesus. As part of a farming community we are called to prepare the soil, sow the seed, cultivate the ground and reap the harvest. Because we understand Christian faith as a journey we will Plant Gardens the Way of Jesus. The Way of Jesus is not a program, not a book to complete, not a series of lessons to memorize. It is a journey, a life, an adventure. It is an ‘approach’ that you can use out of the box. The common element is the 7-fold Way of Jesus Statements:
7-fold way of Following Jesus
- I have begun to follow Jesus, and am depending on the Spirit of Jesus in my journey.
- I am being sent by Jesus to bless others and invite them to follow Him.
- I am learning to be like Jesus in my attitudes, behaviours, character.
- I am learning to love God and to love others.
- I am learning the teachings of Jesus.
- I am helping someone and someone is helping me to be a growing follower of Jesus.
- I am participating in a community of followers of Jesus on mission to the world.
The 7-fold Way of Jesus will point you in the direction of Jesus. The 7 statements are like 7 satellites to help you get a fix on where you are and to keep you on track with Jesus. They are not a map. They are not a compass. They are a GPS. To access their value you must ask and answer the questions they raise, and then act on them. The map is the Scriptures. The compass is the Spirit. The North Star is Jesus and the gyroscope is the church community. The Way of Jesus is all about Jesus: Jesus and Me; Jesus and Others; Jesus, Father and Holy Spirit. We invite you to see yourself and others through the EYES of Jesus. We invite you to Learn in order to trust and obey.
The Way of Jesus is not a curriculum. It is an aid for Following Jesus. It focuses on your personal journey not because the Community of Christ is unimportant, but because each of us is to bring our best to the community. It is part of shaping you for your relationships: Jesus, His community and Others. It is a journey. It is life. It is just in time, learning. It is a discipling relationship. The discipler is a guide, a mentor. The 7-fold way of Jesus statements are valuable to center and recenter your discipling. The ‘pace’ depends on you and your disciple.